Wednesday, May 31, 2006

hairless...

pits.

I had a dilemma about it but in the end decided to remove my armpit hair (I have long dark thick hair there). I used hair-removing cream first - I left it on a lot longer than it said to and it still left quite a bit behind. I then shaved the next morning and realised I probably should have just done that in the first place. Interestingly, what with buying the cream and then faffing about with the skin test and then using it and then having to shave to get a full removal - I must have spent about 2 hours on it. It really does take up your leisure time.

I had one reason - I was the bridesmaid for my sister last weekend and the dress was strapless.

I did not think I looked bad - I was worried that all the traditional/ conservative folk at the event might be more interested/ disgusted/ talkative about my pit hair than the beautiful bride. It did mean I was not worried about what people thought, so I was relaxed.

I also wore a tiny bit of make-up - mascara. That was odd - I looked so different when I see photos. I forgot how much it changes you. Basically I felt under pressure to conform, and when I did, it helped me fit in which reduced my anxiety. Complicated eh?

My hair's all growing back now, and I felt weird for a day or so, but then got used to it. I might de-hair them again when (if) it gets hot. I don't think there's likely to be another occasion ever when I would do so for appearance sake.

It was a fantastic day. T and I are fairly anti-weddings. We have not really ever been to a good one - except this one - it was particularly personal and relaxed.

It was as weddings go - quite moving and I understood why they were doing it, I think. I was very flattered to be asked to be a witness/ bridesmaid for my sister and her lovely partner, and as I quite like dressing up, I enjoyed the frock!

So - no matter how strong my principles are sometimes it's just too hard. That does not feel very good - in many circumstances oppression is based on prejudice about something that can't be chosen. I was very lucky to be able to choose to change myself temporarily.

5 comments:

Pippa said...

I'm really impressed with your thinking on this one. I never shave my pits; I like them as they are. My family, however, do not. I always end up trying to make a point and defending my hairiness(!) when the focus of the day should be elsewhere. It's not my fault that it goes this way but sometimes its just not appropriate to be the centre of attention! I would not have even thought about shaving for my OWN comfort. You did a selfless thing, and you enjoyed your day. Well done you, Cheers, Pippa

TP said...

Good reasoning - if it makes that day more enjoyable for both you and your sister then I don't see any problem :o)

Pippa said...

Thanks for all your comments! It is nice to get feedback! Cheers, Pippa

Winter said...

I also think you did the right thing in this instance.

My sister didn't ask me to get involved in any aspect of her wedding ... except to show up. I think this was actually sensitivity to my views on the subject. I did arrive looking smart though and joined in with everything enthusiastically. I have my principles, but they don't include causing stress to people I care about.

yclepta said...

Thanks for all your comments and support folks - it really helps....